Tuesday 1 August 2017

Keep Your Eyes Up




I went for a big paddle board alone while we were on vacation in Muskoka (thanks Coco aka my mother in law). If you read my post from a few weeks ago about my fear of the water  then you know this was a pretty big feat for myself.

As I paddled further away from our cabin's boathouse, I started to have small moments of panic when I looked down into the dark water. Lake Jospeh is actually pretty dark water, much darker than Lake Huron. I battled this by simply not looking down and letting my mind wander into silly thoughts. I kept my focus up on the beauty that surrounded me.

This made me think of a Bible verse I had heard before, I couldn't quite remember it but I knew I had heard some lessons about keeping my focus on God even in moments of fear and doubt.

Psalm 16:8 (NIV)
I keep my eye always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

So I kept my eyes up and focused on the trees, the rocks, the sailors on the lake and talked to God. I was working pretty hard as I started my paddle into the wind and loved how refreshing the water felt when my feet and legs got splashed as I moved along. I learned a few lessons while I was on the water and loved just being in nature alone. I was grateful for the paddle.

When I am scared or worried its easy to get sucked into a spiral of negative thinking but that only leaves me exhausted and even more distraught. And, I have missed everything that moment in life had to offer.

If I had allowed myself to look down and be afraid, I would have turned around and went back to shore. I would have missed the moment, the beauty and the lessons I learned while chatting with my Heavenly Father on the water. I will not be defined by my fear, I will keep going because I know if I keep my focus on God, he will take care of me.

xoxo
Audrey






No comments: